Bere Island Creamery
It was in May 1940, that a creamery opened on Bere Island in Ballinakilla. As well as providing a vital service to island farmers, it was also a meeting place and has been described as the ‘social media’ of its day. Islanders would congregate at the creamery to hear the local news, and pick up messages, and knew if they needed to travel from one end of the island to the other, there would always be someone at the creamery who could bring them either, all or part of the way.
The creamery eventually closed in 1970. Those who managed it over the years were:
Pat O’Sullivan (Ballinakilla)
Michael O’Leary Rerrin.
Source: A Short History: Ted O’Sullivan